Peer-Guided Study for
ProGen Study Groups
ProGen Study Groups
Over 780 Genealogists Educated
ProGen Study Groups Are . . .
Key Elements of the ProGen Study Program...
- Quality textbooks (Professional Genealogy & Genealogy Standards) written by experts in the field.
- Monthly assignments crafted to maximize learning.
- Written peer feedback.
- Live monthly video chats discussing specific topics and assignments.
- Guidance from a Certified Genealogist® or an Accredited Genealogist®.
- 14-month study program.
Is ProGen Right for Me?
- You want to become a professional genealogist researching for others.
- You already research professionally and want to learn more about managing your business or presenting your written work.
- Improving your research skills is important to you.
- You are considering becoming certified or accredited.
- You want to take your research skills to the next level.
Am I Ready for ProGen?
- You have practiced genealogy research for several years.
- You have successfully participated and completed courses such as the Boston University Certificate in Genealogical Research, the NGS American Genealogical Studies Course, or intermediate level courses at institutes such as GRIP, IGHR or SLIG.
- You demonstrate strong research skills in your daily work.
What ProGen Alumni Are Saying…
Lititz, PA - ProGen 40
The more effort you put into it, the more you will get out of it. This universal principle is oh so true. If you go the extra mile and give each assignment your very best, you will reap dividends. Your writing will improve. Your research skills will improve. Your confidence as a small business owner and operator will improve.
Rebecca Hockaday, CG®
Boise, ID - ProGen 31
I wouldn’t be a CG® and where I am today professionally without the ProGen program. I am grateful!
Chula Vista, CA - ProGen 43
I took a hobby I had for years in genealogy and took it to the next level! After completing the Boston University Genealogical Certificate Program, I continued on to yet another intensive one-year program with the ProGen Study Groups.
Melissa LeMaster Barker
Dickson, TN - ProGen 1
Well, you can add Certified Archives Manager to the list, that’s me! I was in the very first ProGen! I have always thought this was one of the best decisions I ever made and it actually was part of my journey to become an Archivist!
Minneapolis, MN - ProGen 38
I am SO proud to have been a ProGen participant.
Rochester, MN - ProGen 6
One of the best things I ever did for my genealogy business was to participate in ProGen 6. I had already been taking clients for twelve years, but when I started my business, there was no training available for the professional genealogist. I learned so much from each assignment and so much more from the feedback given by fellow classmates.
Los Angeles, CA - ProGen 36
Leslie Watson Tomlinson
Helotes, TX - ProGen 11
Getting and giving peer review on homework assignments was so valuable. Our mentor, Claire Bettag, was instrumental in keeping me focused on my path to certification even though it took a few years longer than I intended.
Perkasie, Bucks Co., PA - ProGen 43
ProGen introduced me to many new writing aspects; provoked good conversation within our monthly meetings; and compared my learnt skills against the BCG rubrics. It was well worth my time, and I would strongly suggest ProGen to any genealogist wanting to advance their skills in a peer-to-peer virtual environment. If you put the effort into ProGen, you will certainly get a lot out of it!
Atkinson, NH - ProGen 47
ProGen exceeded my expectations! I knew I was ready to take the next step in my education plan. I’m thankful my class took time to read my assignments and comment.